“Aadhar,” the national identity program by the Government of India is aimed at delivering a unique identification number to every resident in the country.
The UIDAI has taken all the important steps to ensure that Aadhar number be considered a strong Proof of Identity (POI) and Proof of Address (POA).
This article demonstrates the validity of eAadhar Card as an ID and Address proof document and whether or not it is acceptable.
What is eAadhar Card?
eAadhar Card is the electronically generated Aadhar letter from the UIDAI website. The Government has expected the wider use of eAadhar Card by residents for availing benefits of the various social sector schemes / projects.
The eAadhar card has digitally signed a document using a certificate issued by NIC as per IT Act, 2000. The Information Technology Act, 2000 provides for legal recognition of electronic records with digital signatures.
Above all, data printed in the eAadhar letter is same as the data printed in Aadhar letter.
eAadhar comes as a solution for those residents who are facing delays in receiving their Aadhar cards as it is simple to download to eAadhar from the UIDAI website.
Is eAadhar card a valid document for ID and Address proof?
If the above question had been lingering in your mind, then the answer is YES.
The UIDAI and the Government of India have made it clear that eAadhar is a valid and secured document considered at par with the printed Aadhar Card.
Residents can download eAadhar from the Resident Portal from the UIDAI website.
“The UIDAI which is implementing the Aadhar project has clarified in a statement that both — eAadhar and a cut-away portion of Aadhar letter, is to be considered as a valid proof of identity and address.
How to get eAadhar Card Download to use as an ID and Address proof?
Follow the steps mentioned below to get your eAadhar card:
- Before downloading eAadhar card, the first move is to check your Aadhar card status online. Please click here to know more about the same.
- Enter either your Enrolment Id (found on the Enrolment slip given to you at the time of enrolment) or your Aadhar number.
- Enter your full name and pin code as provided at the time of registration
- Enter the characters as appearing in the image in the space provided.
- Enter your mobile number and click “Get OTP.” You will receive a one-time-password to this registered mobile number.
- Enter the OTP received and clicked “Validate & Download.”
After downloading the eAadhar card, please use your postal code as a password to open the E-Aadhar PDF file.
Also, Common Service Centers which have been set up in States, are also catering to the needs of the residents in providing the eAadhar card.
Thus, the eAadhar Card is a valid proof of identity and address and is treated equivalently to the original Aadhar card.